Amanda-Users

RE: backup of windows machine question

2002-08-23 11:50:32
Subject: RE: backup of windows machine question
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:40:38 -0400
A couple of options:

1. Explain to your users that anything that doesn't land under \My Documents
is (a) target for deletion, and (b) will never be backed up.

2. List all of the directories in the root (\Program Files, \My Documents,
\temp, etc) as separate disk list entries, plus whatever you need under the
directories that have to be skipped (\winnt\system32\profiles). It will make
your disk list longer, but catch more data.

3. Tell users that any data they care about has to be stored or copied to a
server. This can also be handy for workstation rebuilds, which can be
reduced to loading a Ghost image.