Amanda-Users

Re: Diagnosing an elusive fault on a critical system [long]

2002-08-19 15:36:27
Subject: Re: Diagnosing an elusive fault on a critical system [long]
From: Jonathan Johnson <Jonathan.Johnson AT MinnetonkaSoftware DOT com>
To: adam AT maul.bdti DOT com
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:06:17 -0500
Dear Adam (et al.),

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:41:49 -0700, Adam Lins wrote:

 > I had a previously-reliable RH7.2 server which (suddenly!
 > inexplicably!)  kept failing during Amanda dumps. In the end, it
 > turned out to be the SCSI card--replacing the cheaper SymBIOS card
 > (sym53c8xx-based, which I see you have one of) with a slightly-more
 > expensive Adaptec card worked wonders.

What kind of failures -- did you get varying, ugly crashing behavior
like our system's?

 > Since you're using IDE, have you tried replacing the HDD driver
 > card, or are you using on-board IDE?

We are using both on-board (VIA Apollo KX133) and a Promise ATA-100
card; because of the software RAID design, we really have to have an
IDE controller for each drive (although ide0 is shared between a hard
drive and the infrequently-used DVD-ROM).

 > -Adam

Truly,

  Jonathan

--
 /       Jonathan R. Johnson       | "Every word of God is flawless." \
 |    Minnetonka Software, Inc.    |                 -- Proverbs 30:5 |