Amanda-Users

Re: Run and dump cycle recommendations?

2002-08-15 17:28:40
Subject: Re: Run and dump cycle recommendations?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:16:38 -0400
On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:38:40PM -0700, Charlie Bebber wrote:
> Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.
>
> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 16:20, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >
> > You have 11 machines, the tape server and 10 clients.  Say on average each
> > has 4 file systems.  You would then have 44 items (host/filesystem) to
> > backup.
> > These would each be listed in a file called "disklist".
>
> So where, if at all, does this "disklist" file get referenced in the
> amanda.conf?  And where should it live?

named disklist, same dir as amanda.conf aka configdir.

> > Backups, called dumps regardless of the backup program (dump or tar) are
> > performed at "levels".  A full dump (everything on a disklist entry) is a
> > level 0 (zero).  Others levels are known as incrementals, level 1 means
> > everything changed since the last level 0.  Level 2 dumps are everything
> > changed since the last level 1.
>
> Gotcha -- that all makes sense.  But in what instance would one want to
> do a level 2 as opposed to just a level 1?

You don't, amanda does.  Bases it on size of respective levels.
Yesterday's level 1 might have been 50MB.  Today's 55MB.
But maybe a level 2 today would only be 10MB.

> > All this info is collected in a file called amanda.conf.
>
> Here's where I'm stuck now.  As I'm just beginning, my test amanda.conf
> configuration is as follows:

Start off with no changer, just a tapedev.  Simpler for cutting your teeth.

> tpchanger "chg-manual"        # This will hopefully change after testing
> tapedev "/dev/sg0"
> tapetype DAT
> changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
>
> And here's my changer.conf:
>
> number_configs  1
> eject           0       # Tapedrives need an eject command
> sleep           90      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
> cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
> changerdev      /dev/sg0
> #
> # Next comes the data for drive 0
> #
> config          0
> drivenum        0
> dev           /dev/nst0
> # dev           /dev/ns0
> scsitapedev     /dev/sg0
> startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
> enduse          7       #
> statfile        /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-slot  # The file where the
> actual slot is stored
> cleancart       8       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive
> 0 is located
> cleanfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-clean # The file where the
> cleanings are recorded
> usagecount      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/totaltime
> tapestatus      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapestatus # here will some status
> infos be stored
> #labelfile      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/labelfile # Use this if you have
> an barcode reader
>
> But when I run 'amcheck -s DailySet1', I get this error:
>
> Holding disk /backup/amanda: 12891648 KB disk space available, using
> 7771648 KB
> amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
> changer: "/usr/lib/amanda/chg-manual: number_configs: command not found"
>
> I have no idea what that means, but there really is no command called
> number_configs on this box.

But chg-manual is trying to execute one.

I have never used chg-manual before.  I was able to reproduce your situation.

I believe it has a MAJOR defect, so major that I wonder if anyone has used
chg-manual successfully.  I'm going to ask the list.

As I suggested above, work with no changer for now or jump right in to
your final changer config.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)