Amanda-Users

Re: Run and dump cycle recommendations?

2002-08-15 16:50:00
Subject: Re: Run and dump cycle recommendations?
From: Charlie Bebber <charlie.bebber AT digitalmed DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 13:38:40 -0700
Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 16:20, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> You have 11 machines, the tape server and 10 clients.  Say on average each
> has 4 file systems.  You would then have 44 items (host/filesystem) to backup.
> These would each be listed in a file called "disklist".

So where, if at all, does this "disklist" file get referenced in the
amanda.conf?  And where should it live?

> Backups, called dumps regardless of the backup program (dump or tar) are
> performed at "levels".  A full dump (everything on a disklist entry) is a
> level 0 (zero).  Others levels are known as incrementals, level 1 means
> everything changed since the last level 0.  Level 2 dumps are everything
> changed since the last level 1.

Gotcha -- that all makes sense.  But in what instance would one want to
do a level 2 as opposed to just a level 1?

> All this info is collected in a file called amanda.conf.

Here's where I'm stuck now.  As I'm just beginning, my test amanda.conf
configuration is as follows:

tpchanger "chg-manual"  # This will hopefully change after testing
tapedev "/dev/sg0"
tapetype DAT
changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"

And here's my changer.conf:

number_configs  1
eject           0       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           90      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/sg0
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0
drivenum        0
dev           /dev/nst0
# dev           /dev/ns0
scsitapedev     /dev/sg0
startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          7       #
statfile        /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-slot  # The file where the
actual slot is stored
cleancart       8       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive
0 is located
cleanfile       /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tape0-clean # The file where the
cleanings are recorded
usagecount      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/totaltime
tapestatus      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapestatus # here will some status
infos be stored
#labelfile      /etc/amanda/DailySet1/labelfile # Use this if you have
an barcode reader

But when I run 'amcheck -s DailySet1', I get this error:

Holding disk /backup/amanda: 12891648 KB disk space available, using
7771648 KB
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
changer: "/usr/lib/amanda/chg-manual: number_configs: command not found"

I have no idea what that means, but there really is no command called
number_configs on this box.

I've tried changing tpchanger to chg-scsi and chg-multi (as I really
don't know which one I'll want to be using in the future), but haven't
had any success with those either.

> With this as a starting point, get the source code, and in a directory
> called docs are many information documents.  An important one is INSTALLATION.
> Also see the example amanda.conf file for all its comment remarks.

Thanks again, Jon -- you've helped a great deal already.

Cheers,

-Charlie