Amanda-Users

Re: first amdump failing

2002-08-13 21:34:00
Subject: Re: first amdump failing
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:26:06 -0400
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 07:59:19PM -0500, Benjamin Herbert wrote:
> I set up a new amanda backup set.  It consits of about 20 servers each
> with about 3 or 4 filesystms to dump.  I've configured amanda correctly (I
> think), and when i ran the first dump using "amdump Dailyset1" it came
> back with errors for every filesystem saying it cant do incrementals.  I
> know why this is occuring.  Since its the first time Im dumping the
> filesystems it need a full dump of the filesystems before it can do
> incrementals.  My questions are these:
>
> What do I need to do to get the fist amdump to work?
>
>       - ie. do I have to force a level 0 dump on all filesystems.

Walk before leaping.  In your disklist, comment out all entries
but the tape host, and maybe only 2 or 3 entries for that.  Run amdump.

Does that work successfully?  I.e., can you backup anything.

Then add (uncomment) a couple of hosts, a couple of fs's each.  Run
another amdump.  Could even be the same day by hand.  Nothing says it
has to run out of crontab.

Does that run successfully?  I.e., can you backup over the network.

Add one, maybe 2 fs's from each remaining host.  Run another amdump.

Does that run successfully?  I.e., is each host configured as a client properly?

By now, about 1/2 of your fs's are past the initial level 0 and into
incrementals.
Uncomment the remaining fs's over the next couple of regular dumps.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)