Amanda-Users

Re: first amdump failing

2002-08-13 22:24:49
Subject: Re: first amdump failing
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Benjamin Herbert <herbert AT isis.visi DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:14:11 -0400
On Tuesday 13 August 2002 20:59, Benjamin Herbert wrote:
>I set up a new amanda backup set.  It consits of about 20 servers
> each with about 3 or 4 filesystms to dump.  I've configured
> amanda correctly (I think), and when i ran the first dump using
> "amdump Dailyset1" it came back with errors for every filesystem
> saying it cant do incrementals.  I know why this is occuring.
> Since its the first time Im dumping the filesystems it need a
> full dump of the filesystems before it can do incrementals.  My
> questions are these:
>
>What do I need to do to get the fist amdump to work?
>
>       - ie. do I have to force a level 0 dump on all filesystems.
>
>       If this is the case, wouildnt there be too much data to put to
>tape if a level 0 dump of everything was necessary.
>
>       And if thats the case, I would have to wait a day or too before
>all filesystems had a chance to to a level 0 dump.
>
>Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

The usual method is to comment out almost everything  in the
disklist, leaving about what would fit on one tape.  Do an amdump,
which should be successfull.

The next day, uncomment about that much more of the disklist and do
an amdump.

Continue this over several days until the disklist is fully exposed.
Amanda will then attempt to adjust the backup levels each night in
order to achieve some level of consistency to the amount of tape
used each night.

If you have the tape, and still are having capacity failures, one
can (if using a changer that is) allow more than 1 tape to be used
per nights runs by adjusting the 'runtapes' value in amanda.conf.

Bear in mind that when amanda hits an EOT, that filesystem save that
just failed is restarted from scratch on the next tape, a gentle
warning that one filesystem thats larger than a tape will use up
all the tapes it can use per run and still fail.  This is an
implied limit to the size of the entry in the disklist.  In other
words, you must break large entries into individual subdir entries
that will each fit on one tape.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M