Amanda-Users

Re: hardware compression...

2002-08-13 15:56:56
Subject: Re: hardware compression...
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Scott Sanders <ssanders AT conceptsdirectinc DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:50:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 at 1:38pm, Scott Sanders wrote

> OK I know that's a bad thing to say around here BUT...

No, not really.

> ufsdumps (level 0 every night) to tape using amanda. My question is,
> since the drive is handling the compression what tape length should I be
> specifying in my tapetype definitions? For example should I use 35000
> mbytes or 70000 mbytes for a DLT-7000 with 35GB of native capacity? Or
> maybe something in between just to make sure I don't run out f tape?

Everybody's favorite answer -- it depends.  How compressible is your data?
Our /home partitions here compress on average about 50% in software.  Our
raw RF data on the RAID does *not* hardware compress in my AIT1 drive.

Start with some compression estimate based on your data, and lower the
length if you consistently hit EOT.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering