Amanda-Users

hardware compression...

2002-08-13 15:54:11
Subject: hardware compression...
From: Scott Sanders <ssanders AT conceptsdirectinc DOT com>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:38:14 -0600
OK I know that's a bad thing to say around here BUT...

I'm backing up some Solaris 2.6 machines and need to be able to do a
restore with nothing but the O/S CD-ROM. Since it doesn't have gzip or
any other compression software on the ROM I am just doing straight
ufsdumps (level 0 every night) to tape using amanda. My question is,
since the drive is handling the compression what tape length should I be
specifying in my tapetype definitions? For example should I use 35000
mbytes or 70000 mbytes for a DLT-7000 with 35GB of native capacity? Or
maybe something in between just to make sure I don't run out f tape?

Thanks everyone!

--
Scott Sanders

Systems Administrator