Amanda-Users

Re: Tapetype claims tape is 8.5 GB when it should be 12 GB

2002-08-13 11:35:47
Subject: Re: Tapetype claims tape is 8.5 GB when it should be 12 GB
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:15:01 -0400
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:32:20AM +0300, Conny Gyllendahl wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have been trying to set up Amanda to back up our Solaris 8 boxes and one
> of the first steps was to get a tapetype for our tapes.
>
> The taper is reported as "HP DDS-3 4MM DAT" (by `mt status`). I don't know
> any additonal data about this drive since it is in an unmarked case
> (unless I crack it open and look around).
>
> The tapes are "Sony DGD125M", 125 metres with a native capacity of 12 GB.
>
> However, after running tapetype I get a tapetype with a capacity of around
> 8.5 GB (86xx-87xx mbytes), also with different values for filemarks. Also,
> the first time I ran it using /dev/rmt/0bn I got a type with a large value
> for filemark (around 1 mmb) and when running it twice with /dev/rmt/0n I
> got either 0 or 32 kb (the first one when specifying estimated size to 12
> GB and the latter without specifying any estimated size).

In addition to the excellent advice from Gene and Kenny, just a note about
Solaris and devices.  Which device, of the many in /dev/rmt, turns on and
off compression depends on the name and is controlled by a file "st.conf"
in the directory /kernel/drv/.

BTW some parts of amanda seem happier when used without the "b" in the device
name.  Generally they are on the recovery side, not the create tapes side.

Here is a brief rundown on the entries in MY st.conf for your drive (similar
to mine, though mine is a loader).

Use your mt status report to find the entry for your drive.  I don't have
an exact match for your mt status report, so I'll use a close one.  You
can wade through the "prtconf -v" output to determine exactly which entry
the device drive is using.

    "HP  C1537A",   "HP DDS3 DAT",         "HPdds3",
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^            ^^^^^^
                 mt output should match      label

Next scan further in the same st.conf file for the label.

    HPdds3  = 1, 0x34,  0, 0x0D639,    4, 0x00, 0x13, 0x24, 0x03, 3;
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     N   0     1     2     3    D
       not germain to this              keys to discription below

N) number of densities the drive (or driver) will respond to.

0-3) codes to supply to the driver to invoke a specific density
     I have no idea what the codes mean to the driver or drive,
     but they correspond to device names.  0 is "l" (ell),
     1 is "m", 2 is "h" and 3 is "c and u".  If you swap numbers
     around, like put the 0x03 in position 1 and 0x13 in position 3,
     then device 0c will act like 0m does now and visa versa.

D) which of the 4 entries is the "default", corresponding to drive 0
   with no additional letters except "b" or "n".  I.e. no l,m,h,c,u.
   For this entry, drive 0 is the same as 0c (or 0u)**

On my system, l is no HW compression, c/u is forced HW compression.
The drive "m" leaves the drive in whatever state it was.  I haven't
figured out "h".

** I have no clue as to why they have two names, c and u, that always
   correspond to the same density.

I strongly suspect, as you are using device "0n", that you have specified
the compression on device by default.  Only by checking YOUR st.conf can
you be sure.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)