Amanda-Users

Tapetype claims tape is 8.5 GB when it should be 12 GB

2002-08-13 04:53:17
Subject: Tapetype claims tape is 8.5 GB when it should be 12 GB
From: Conny Gyllendahl <conny AT consilia.aland DOT fi>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:32:20 +0300 (EEST)
Hi all!

I have been trying to set up Amanda to back up our Solaris 8 boxes and one
of the first steps was to get a tapetype for our tapes.

The taper is reported as "HP DDS-3 4MM DAT" (by `mt status`). I don't know
any additonal data about this drive since it is in an unmarked case
(unless I crack it open and look around).

The tapes are "Sony DGD125M", 125 metres with a native capacity of 12 GB.

However, after running tapetype I get a tapetype with a capacity of around
8.5 GB (86xx-87xx mbytes), also with different values for filemarks. Also,
the first time I ran it using /dev/rmt/0bn I got a type with a large value
for filemark (around 1 mmb) and when running it twice with /dev/rmt/0n I
got either 0 or 32 kb (the first one when specifying estimated size to 12
GB and the latter without specifying any estimated size).

So, anyone know why I am not getting the expected size?