Amanda-Users

Re: How to determine cause of Amanda slowdown?

2002-08-08 16:19:44
Subject: Re: How to determine cause of Amanda slowdown?
From: "KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <KZEMBOWER AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:08:30 -0400
Joshua, thank you very much. This is exactly what I was thinking of. I
used an earlier version, mii-tool, which looks like it's been upgraded
to mii-diag. Using this, I found that the NIC had negotiated 100baseT-HD
rather than FD. I then used this tool to force the connection to
100baseT-FD. Oddly enough, the mii-diag still reported that the NIC
thought that the 'link partner' was 100baseT-HD. However, no errors were
showing up on the switch's diagnostics.

Paul also reported problems with Cisco switches and NICs that
auto-negotiate. My network engineer here told me to not use
auto-negotiation, but couldn't explain why, so I just ignored it.

I'll let folks know tomorrow whether this speeded things up or not.

Thanks, again, for all your help.

-Kevin

>>> Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> 08/08/02 12:32PM >>>
On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 at 12:15pm, KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote

> admin:/proc/net # ifconfig eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:27:B6:FB:E7
>           inet addr:172.16.2.7  Bcast:172.16.255.255
Mask:255.255.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:259376827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:188989102 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:65070
>           collisions:54220248 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:2574728265 (2455.4 Mb)  TX bytes:2729800656
(2603.3
> Mb)
>
> This is the system on the 100Base-T line connected directly to a
Cisco
> switch, which should be set at full duplex. Does the fact that
they're
> any collisions at all indicate that this is not working in full
duplex
> mode? The collisions are 21% of the number of RX packets, and 28% of
the
> TX packets. Are these numbers excessive?

Yes.  You shouldn't have collisions.

> At one time I knew of a program or command that you could run to
> display the settings of the NIC, like auto-negotiate and so forth.
For
> the life of me I can remember it now. Any suggestions for
determining
> this information?

It depends on the NIC.  Don Becker has diagnostic tools for all sorts
of
NICs:

http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html

--