Amanda-Users

using Netcat as a wrapper on solaris

2002-08-08 11:36:52
Subject: using Netcat as a wrapper on solaris
From: "Adam D. Read" <aread AT localnet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:34:47 -0400
Hello,
In an effort to secure our servers, we do not run inetd at all, instead using tcpserver as a wrapper for our TCP services. Since amandad is a UDP based service, netcat is the option of choice, having it exec amandad upon connection(run through daemontools). This works well on a linux box, but my first solaris box I started on is giving me trouble. I am running SunOS 5.8 and have the newest stable amanda and netcat. I tested netcat w/ bash and it exec'd the shell perfectly through the UDP connection. Is there a way to test amandad to make sure it is functioning at all? It exits as soon as anything is sent to it through netcat.

Thanks for the help,
Adam Read
LocalNet Corp.