Amanda-Users

amdump not advancing to first tape?

2002-08-08 11:43:25
Subject: amdump not advancing to first tape?
From: "Nicholas Paufler" <npaufler AT incentre DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:32:13 -0600
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding things but I seem to have a slight problem.

I've been doing some test dumps with Amanda before I put it into production
to make sure everything is working. I'm using an HP Surestore 24x6 with 6
12gig DDS3 tapes in the magazine. For testing purposes, I've defined the
dumpcycle as one week, runspercycle as 6, and as tapecycle 6 tapes. In other
words, it should just cycle through the one loaded magazine. (I'll increase
it to use the other magazines I have later, I just want it working with one
first).

It completes 6 dumps successfully (Daily-001 through Daily-006), but on the
seventh run Amanda knows it should be using Daily-001. However, on the
seventh run of amdump it errors out saying it can't find Daily-001.

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [label Daily-001 or new tape not found in rack]

Daily-001 is in the current magazine, though. In fact, it's in the first
slot in the magazine. Why isn't it scanning it? It seems to me this would be
the same problem if I had loaded a second magazine in (With Daily-007
through Daily-012) to it. It probably wouldn't have found Daily-007 either.

I believe that if I rerun Amdump it will find Daily-001 (it did so earlier
on in my testing when I was having other problems, anyway) and go on it's
way, but the error is kind of irritating. Also, running amflush appears to
find the tape and things work. This is problematic though because this
should be automated, save for the swapping of tape magazines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nicholas Paufler
Systems Administrator
The Internet Centre