Amanda-Users

Strangeness on local backup

2002-08-02 06:30:35
Subject: Strangeness on local backup
From: Byron Schlemmer <amanda AT byron.me DOT uk>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:06:03 +0100 (BST)
Hi folks,

I have a FreeBSD 4.6 machine running amanda-2.4.3b3. It is exhibiting
some rather odd behaviour. Network backups seem to be happening
correctly however when the backup server tries to backup itself through
the local interface it seems to timeout.

Here is an excerpt from the report

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  bagpuss    /home lev 0 FAILED [Request to bagpuss timed out.]
  bagpuss    /web lev 0 FAILED [Request to bagpuss timed out.]
  bagpuss    /var lev 0 FAILED [Request to bagpuss timed out.]
  bagpuss    /etc lev 0 FAILED [Request to bagpuss timed out.]
  bagpuss    / lev 0 FAILED [Request to bagpuss timed out.]

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS
KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
bagpuss      /           0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
bagpuss      /etc        0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
bagpuss      /home       0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
bagpuss      /var        0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
bagpuss      /web        0 FAILED ---------------------------------------

And here is the disklist excerpt :

## hostname     disk device     dump type       spindle interface

bagpuss         /               nocomp-root     -1      local
bagpuss         /etc            comp-user       -1      local
bagpuss         /var            comp-user       -1      local
bagpuss         /web            comp-user       -1      local
bagpuss         /home           holding-disk    -1      local

Is there a solution for this? What have I done wrong? I know all was
well before I upgraded amanda on the backup machine so it is possible
that the disklist file is out of date and there is no longer support for
a local interface?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

        - byron