ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Availability for Spectrum Protect 8.1 server software for Linux on power system

2017-02-10 07:27:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Availability for Spectrum Protect 8.1 server software for Linux on power system
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 07:23:59 -0500
Hi Arnaud,

As a general IBM statement, Linux on Power is transitioning from Big
Endian to Little Endian. This has been underway for a few years. Here are
a few blogs from IBM when this started a few years ago:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/fe313521-2e95-46f2-817d-44a4f27eba32/entry/just_the_faqs_about_little_endian?lang=en
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/fe313521-2e95-46f2-817d-44a4f27eba32/entry/More_FAQs_about_Little_Endian_An_Update?lang=en

This means that applications for Linux on Power are also transitioning
from Big Endian to Little Endian, including Spectrum Protect.

Spectrum Protect 7.1 supports Linux on Power Big Endian, but Spectrum
Protect 8.1 does not. Spectrum Protect 8.1 is targeted to add support for
Linux on Power Little Endian in the 1H of this year.

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/09/2017
03:24:30 AM:

******************************************************************************************************************************
> Backup and Recovery Systems Administrator
> Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland,
> CIT Department Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
> Phone: +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
> Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
> e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com
> This electronic message transmission contains information from
> Panalpina and is confidential or privileged. This information is
> intended only for the person (s) named above. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use or
> any other action based on the contents of this information is
> strictly prohibited.
>
> If you receive this electronic transmission in error, please notify
> the sender by e-mail, telephone or fax at the numbers listed above.
Thank you.