ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Copy Mode: Absolute misunderstanding

2016-01-22 12:30:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] Copy Mode: Absolute misunderstanding
From: "Arbogast, Warren K" <warbogas AT IU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:28:27 +0000
We have implemented directory container pools in TSM version 7.1.4 and are
happy with it.  All new backups are written to the DEDUP pool, and old backups
are being migrated from the VTL to the DEDUP pool through a process of
replicating existing nodes' files to a DEDUP pool on a target server,  then
replicating them back to the DEDUP pool on the source server. That process
works well.

There is an urgency to empty the storage previously used on the VTL so it can
be re-purposed. To hurry the migration to the DEDUP pool along we devised a
strategy of running FULL backups (COPY MODE: ABSOLUTE) on certain small servers
in policy domains whose destination was the DEDUP pool. That would promote all
of a node’s previous backups on the VTL to Inactive status. And, since the
pertinent RETAIN EXTRA VERSIONS setting was ’30’, we expected within 30 days
all inactive versions would be expired and removed from the VTL.

It’s 30 days later, and the strategy did not work perfectly. There are
thousands of files remaining on the VTL for nodes which had  a COPY MODE:
ABSOLUTE backup.

What am I misunderstanding about COPY MODE: ABSOLUTE?  I had understood it
would force a 100% full backup, with no mitigation by include and exclude
statements. Apparently that’s not the case. Could someone clarify how it works?

With many thanks,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University