ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] including/excluding vms from backups administration usability

2015-05-19 06:50:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] including/excluding vms from backups administration usability
From: Markus Engelhard <markus.engelhard AT BUNDESBANK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:49:00 +0200
Dear all,

we are currently struggling a bit with TSM4VE config and making it more
manageable regarding including and excluding vms from backup.
For disks, we can exclude individual disks by just adding a line to the
optfile looking like

exclude.vmdisk "vm1" "Hard Disk 2"
exclude.vmdisk "vm2" "Hard Disk 2"

works fine, one disk per line and readable.

If i want to exclude vms, I have to put them all in one line looking like

DOMAIN.VMFULL
"vmhost=host1;-VM=vm7*,vm1,vm2,vm6,vm101,vm30,vm29,vm465,vm9,vm879,vm102,vm101;VM=7;VM=vm7657"

which is not easily readable and hard to maintain as it grows and changes.
I know about the GUI, but then you always have to logon to the system for
each change, plus the exclude for disks is not avaliable.
The client will not accept more than one domain.vmfull statement or a cr,
all has to be in one line.
The options also don´t seem to be available in the client option set as
options, which would also be a neat solution.
Has anyone made a more readable syntax work, or would this be a case for a
RFE?

Kind regards,

Markus