ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] including/excluding vms from backups administration usability

2015-05-19 09:46:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] including/excluding vms from backups administration usability
From: Marcel Anthonijsz <marcel AT ANTHONIJSZ DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 15:45:43 +0200
Markus,

My "current" best practice is to use the VMFOLDER option and create folders
in the "VMs and templates" view. We have found that if the folder exists
multiple times, all machines are collected and backed up. For example
(pardon my bad the ASCII drawing skills):

vCenter01
[-] [ ] DC1
       [-] |/ Application servers
            [-] Backup_1900_DM01
                 APP01
                 APP02
            [-] NoBackup
                 APPTST01
                 APPTST01
       [-] |/ Domain Controllers
            [-] Backup_1900_DM01
                 DC02
       [-] |/ Mail
            [-] Backup_2300_DM02
                 MX02

So the schedule 1900_DM01 is associated with datamover DM01 and starts at
19:00. It backups the folder Backup_1900_DM01. As you can see the folder is
not unique.
VM's that are backupped are the APP01, APP02 and DC02.
By just moving VM's in and out of the folder structure you can decide when
and what to backup. To make it clear we also have defined NoBackup folders.
The name says it all.

 Only downside is that you cannot use the TDP for VE GUI to administer
these schedules, but for the rest it works great!

Schedule options for this example:
-vmfulltype=vstor -vmbackuptype=fullvm
-asnodename=VE_DC01 -domain.vmfull="VMFOLDER=Backup_1900_DM01"
-MODE=IFIncremental

--
Kind Regards, Groetje,

Marcel Anthonijsz