ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NAS Backup

2015-05-18 23:13:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NAS Backup
From: Ron Delaware <ron.delaware AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 20:11:50 -0700
Eric,

When a NAS/NDMP backup start, there is a query from the datamover to the TSM Server requesting space for the backup. It doesn't matter if you are doing full's or incremental, the datamover uses that same storage requirement for both.

example:
you have 100TB of NAS used space total. To do a full would require 100TB + 10% of space available on the TSM server. That's pretty straight forward. The muddy area is when you are attempting to perform incremental backups. When requesting space, the space that is requested is equal to the total space used, which would be 100TB + 10%, this happens even though an incremental will take place. This can cause incremental backups to be mixed with Full backup storage.

Best Regards,

email:
ron.delaware AT us.ibm DOT com