ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device

2014-05-05 19:28:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device
From: "Dury, John C." <JDury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 19:26:36 -0400
Sorry  for revisiting this but I'm in a predicament now. Trying to backup the
NDMP device is a miserable failure and frankly just ugly.  I honestly can't see
why anyone would use TSM to backup any NDMP devices except for maybe speed
issues.

We decided to mount all of the NFS shares locally on the TSM server and allow
them to be backed up that way but now the problem is that even with
resourceutilization set to 20, it still takes 18+ hours just to do an
incremental because there are millions and millions of files in all of those
NFS shares. So this isn't going to work either. I can try the proxy node
solution but frankly I'm skeptical about it also because of the tremendous
number of small files. Of course this is all for a mission critical application
so I have to come up with a workable solution and I'm running out of ideas.

Help!

Oh, that works just fine.  Then you're backing up over NFS, no NDMP involved.

And TSM will not back up an NFS-mounted volume by default, so you won't get

multiple copies.

Put the virtualmountpoint names in the DOMAIN statement in dsm.sys  of the

client you want to run the backups (or create dsmc incr commands that list the

sharenames, however you roll), fight through whatever permissions issues pop

up, and Bob's your uncle.  You'll get incremental-only backups of those files.

What you won't know for a while, is how long it takes to noodle through the

filesystems across the NFS mount- depends on how many kazillion objects in the

directories.

If you list the names in the DOMAIN statement, you can add "RESOURCEUTILIZATION

10" to the dsm.sys and process 4 shares at once, if the directory noodling is

more time consuming than the actual data transfer, which it usually is if these

shares are made of a lot of small files.

If you can't get through them by running 4 at a time, I've solved that before

by setting up multiple proxy clients (using GRANT PROXYNODE), to get even more

parallel streams running, but with all the backups stored under 1 nodename so

that it's easy to find them at restore time.