ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device

2014-05-06 15:33:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 19:30:23 +0000
Taking opportunity to mount soapbox on this issue:

I have SO many customer that are facing this problem.
Vendors of giant NAS devices *should* be providing better, decent solutions to
back them up.
It's very do-able, it's just that crappy vendors don't care what they dump on
you.

NetApp, for example, has implemented their SnapDiff API that provides true
incrementals, and it works.
I have no other reason to plug NetApp, I'm just pointing out that other vendors
could do the same thing, if they wanted to - it's not impossible.

I know, in most cases backup folks have hardware dropped on us without any
input into the purchase, and we are just stuck with it.
BUT the only thing that is going to solve this industry-wide problem in the
long run, is whenever tech people hear there is a purchase going down, we step
in and tell management STOP! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?, and boycott vendors who
inflict bad technology on us when they could do better.

Soapbox off.