ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam

2014-04-28 23:02:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 03:00:12 +0000
Start with your DR scenario and work back.

A VM-only product is going to have nicer, more sophisticated interface than
TSM/VE.
TSM/VE is still a bit rough around the edges.  (The interface you use for full
VM restores, isn't integrated with the interface you use for file-level
restores; the scheduler log is messy and hard to read, etc.)  But it does work.

I think Veeam only has marginal tape support, if any.
With TSM/VE you get incremental forever backups, and the data flows into your
storage hierarchy, disk or tape, just like any other data.
So if you have a requirement to get the data on tape, better go with TSM/VE.
DR recovery from TSM/VE on tape is possible, although difficult to do quickly
on a large scale.

I have had a few customers who use Veeam, then use TSM to dump the Veeam
repository to tape.
That only works well on a small scale, otherwise you quickly get into the
business of moving many terabytes of data daily.

If you have a hot site and can replicate, using Veeam has the advantage of
making the VM recovery independent of the TSM recovery, and taking that burden
off you - your VM admins can be recovering with Veeam while you are working on
the TSM server and physical server recovery.

OTOH, if you have a hot site, what you do with VM Site Recovery manager for
business continuance should be your primary concern, as that keeps your site
running - your backups should not be the primary recovery mode.

So it depends on your situation, your recovery requirements and available
facilities, the size of your VM farm, and the lines of responsibility in your
organization.
I don't think I have any 2 customers doing things the exact same way!

Wanda