ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam

2014-04-29 17:59:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 21:57:12 +0000
Veeam was designed as a backup product(not archive).  The way Veeam
historically recommended longer-term tape backups (which still works and still
criticized) is for you to use TSM (or any product that supports tape properly)
to archive the data from the Veeam repository. The image files are dated and
identifiable (full backups vs incrementals, etc).
A restore would be a 2 step process of first retrieving from the TSM archive
then restoring from Veeam.

The idea is that you would run a TSM archive job on the Veeam repository and
look for all *vbk files or whatever pattern you wanted to keep.
The new version of Veeam does support basic library control, but there is no
vault tracking or anything like that.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.