ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam

2014-04-28 14:12:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm tcp for vm versus veeam
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:10:38 +0000
We are using Veeam Backup and Replication and Veeam ONE as a management
software for VMware itself and Veeam Backups for VMs. Perfect combination! I
would like to recommend to use Windows 2012 R2 as Veeam Repository servers with
native Windows deduplication for drives with backup data to reduce required
storage size.
 By the way, most of the critical production VMs we are backing up using
traditional TSM backups used on source standalone servers before
virtualization. Yes, it is a little bit expensive solution, but combination
Veeam + TSM backups (without TDP for VM) is extremely reliable and I do not
think TDP for VM is less expensive. We are using only traditional TSM backups
for MS Clusters with RDMs, where Veeam is not working.

Grigori Solonovitch, Senior Systems Architect, IT, Ahli United Bank Kuwait,
www.ahliunited.com.kw