ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange single mailbox restore

2014-03-10 13:04:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange single mailbox restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:00:32 +0000
By all means use one of the later versions, they work better.  And open a
Tivoli ticket if it still doesn't work.

But just in case this helps you in the short term
:
I have 2 customers that cannot reliably do mailbox restores for Exchange, one
at TDP 6.4 with 2010, and one at TDP 7.1 with 2013.
By "reliably" I mean sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Or it worked for a long time, then stopped working.
We think it has to do with Windows updates and/or AD updates that are causing
the problems.
Neither customer has been willing to pursue the problem vigorously with support
because:

No matter what options you choose, when you start the mailbox restore, TSM is
first going to restore the whole mailbox DB (and apply any necessary logs.)
It puts the mailbox DB into a recovery DB, extracts the mailbox for you, then
deletes the recovery DB.
And while that is nice, what my customers do is just restore the mailbox DB to
the recovery DB and then turn it over to the Exchange guy, who happily extracts
the mailbox with Exchange tools.
Result is the same, except you then have to delete the recovery DB on your own.

So while I believe it can be fixed, they are happy with the workaround.   The
time involved is mostly in getting the DB restore done anyway, and the extra
step for the Exchange guy is trivial.