ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server

2013-11-08 13:18:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 18:16:52 +0000
That is almost correct. After doing this, shut off the old tsm instance
immediately to make sure there is no conflict for the tapes. (Not sure if you
are using a shared tape environment)

You will first need to format db/log volumes on the new server (with dsmfmt or
use raw logical volumes),
then run a dsmserv format command with all the appropriate options to generate
the dsmserv.dsk and prepare it for the db restore.
After that, you run the restore, but you will need to use "dsmserv restore db
todate=today" Since you probably won't be using the roll-forward function.

Also, I prefer to backup the database to disk for a migration and just put it
in the same path on the new server.
Otherwise, you might need to deal with devconfig problems trying to get the new
server to connect to the library and mount the right tape from the right slot
into the right drive for the db restore. the devconfig file should have all
that info, but it will only work if the library config is exactly the same as
the original tsm server, same paths, same drive bindings, etc.  I prefer to
deal with library configuration issues after the server is restored, up and
running.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.