ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server

2013-11-08 02:46:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server
From: iSumit <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 23:43:59 -0800
Hi Shawn,

Many Thanks for the details.

Still have some concerns. please consider the below.

1. we need to move the TSM to different physical host, since its a physical
migration process.
2.The OLD TSM will be decommissioned, so we dont have to think about further
backups. Just we need to perform the restore for the existing backups BUT on
the new TSM server.

As per my understanding so far, I think I have to execute the below steps.
PLease corret me if am wrong.

lets assume the existing TSM server is TSM1 and the new host where we are
migrating is TSM2

1. install the TSM server on the new host (TSM2).
2.Back up the TSM database of TSM1 to sequential media. For example, issue the
following command:

backup db devclass=lto4 type=full    //it is assumed device class for lto4
storage pool is "lto4"
3.Move copies of the volume history file, device configuration file, and server
options file from TSM1 to TSM2
4.Restore the backed up database on the target server.
dsmserv restore db

5. Now we can perform the restore of any data in TSM2 which was backed up by
TSM1