ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server

2013-11-07 13:08:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Perform Restore in a different TSM server
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 18:06:30 +0000
The metadata/catalog information for all data is stored in the TSM database
(except for exports and backupsets)
In order to restore from a separate TSM server, you need to get this metadata
(and possibly associated data) into the new tsm server and there are a number
of ways to do that.

You can NOT import catalog information from tapes in TSM.  If you lose your TSM
database, you lose your data (undocumented hacks aside) Protecting the TSM
database is much more critical than other backup applications. Also you cannot
do a partial TSM db restore.  If you need to restore a TSM DB, it is a full
recovery and the new copy will think it owns all the tapes, so no indexing is
possible and you will need to be careful if both TSM servers are sharing the
same library.

Some choices to do what you are talking about:
- export/import the data from the old server to the new server before a restore
is needed. (help export node)  This will copy the metadata and the data to the
new server (will require an additional storage for the data copy)
- Perform a TSM db recovery on the new server each time you need a restore.
This will copy the metadata, but use the same tapes
- Upgrade to TSM6.3 on both and use the node replication feature. This will
keep the metadata and data synced between the two servers but again, will use
2x the space.

I wouldn't do any of these though.  I don't think the TSM architecture was
built for this type of tactics.  If the underlying requirement is to ensure
restore performance, I would look at the following ways that don't technically
involve a completely separate server:

- Create a restore-only storage agent.  This is the lan-free solution and
similar to using a media server in Netbackup.  The metadata will still be
processed by the TSM server, but the storage access will be direct.
- Look into using an Active data pool.  This maintains a separate storage pool
of current data, so most restores from the most recent backups will be
performed from this pool and wouldn't touch the main backup pool, where you may
have backups running.

(and possibly using both a storage agent and an active pool)

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.