ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE sizing vs standard incremental forever

2013-05-16 10:18:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE sizing vs standard incremental forever
From: "Ehresman,David E." <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 14:16:20 +0000
>> You noted that your back end will be all tape; be sure you read the
>> "requirements for tape" section in the VE book.  The metadata has to be
>> split out and stay on disk.<<

This is probably worth highlighting.  TSM for VE writes control data to the
Management Class defined by the "Vmctlmc" client option and restores data from
there during the next backup cycle.  The doc recommends writing it to a disk
storage pool with no migration to tape.

We have no disk storage pools and no copy storage pools.  All our data goes to
virtual tape (ProctecTier) which is replicated over IP to a DR ProctecTier.  If
we put our VMCTLMC to disk, we have no way of getting it to DR.  So we put it
to virtual tape along with all the other data, and use the " NOPREEMPT  YES"
server option to keep the restore running on one datamover from preempting the
backup being run on another datamover using the same tape volume.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville