ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] snapshotprovider vss

2013-05-16 17:25:13
Subject: [ADSM-L] snapshotprovider vss
From: Geoff Gill <avalnche96 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 14:24:11 -0700
With progress comes changes. The question is when they happen do we really need
them.

I have not used this previously but see it being used with a client. The
question is what will it provide, do they really need it and if so when and
why, and won't everything work without it. What I see are Failed 12 reports on
a number of systems because of failures with, volume shadow copy services in an
invalid state before snapshot initialization, the current state is not valid,
an attempt to create a snapshot failed, (VSS_WS_WAITING_FOR_POST_SNAPSHOT).

I see statements that this is a Microsoft issue with links about event viewer
log files. The question I guess I have is should they continue to use this
because it makes life easier for some reason and if so what is that reason and
what if anything might be the most common issue to start looking at to resolve
it.

Is there something I can take a look at that would explain it in detail because
so far all I've seen is some nomenclature and links to fixes.

Thank You
Geoff Gill