ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Updating Windows client on systems with multiple schedules/CIFs shares

2013-01-18 12:25:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Updating Windows client on systems with multiple schedules/CIFs shares
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:17:08 -0500
I have some questions related to maintaining the TSM client on a single
machine (currently W2K3) that has 32-schedules. This machine backs up lots
of CIFS shares of SAN storage.

The client is old (6.2.2.0) with numerous issues that are fixed in later
releases (can we say major memory leak in the scheduler service - had to
reboot the machine when all of the backups started failing).  When I talked
with the Windows admin about updating the client, they said it is a real
pain to do because of the way it is setup.  When they first setup a node,
they:

1.  Create a new folder which holds the dsm.opt, dsmsched and dsmerror log
files
2.  Create the schedule service entries
3.  Copy the *dscenu.txt *file from the TSM install directory (???????)

The last step confuses me.  I know from previous experience when upgrading
Windows clients that some times the dscenu.txt file was either not updated
or the upgrade process put it in a new place and the old was left behind
and still found by the client, thus causing errors about the message file

The admin person says they have to login to each share/account and copy the
dscenu.txt file, rinse, lather, repeat,  thus part of the hesitancy to
update/upgrade the client.

Any suggestions on how the Windows client in this config can be properly
updated without loosing the settings and not having to go back through
these machinations?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator