ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM for VE 6.4 Questions/Recommendations

2013-01-18 14:23:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE 6.4 Questions/Recommendations
From: Mike De Gasperis <mike.degasperis AT WOWWAY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:15:50 -0500
I posted this up on the adsm.org forum but I'm hoping I get more hits here.

We're getting ready to implement the agent at one of our facilities and I'm
curious to see how everyone else is accomplishing some things we did relatively
easy the "old" way.

How are you scheduling certain VM's at different time frames? Wondering if
folks are using the TSM scheduler to do it and how that looks or if the vCenter
plugin has been an easier option for you.

Policy and retention wise how are you handling VM's that may require a longer
retention than others? Wondering if folks are just using separate management
classes within the same policy or using multiple data move nodes. I'm also
wondering if you're using multiple management classes are you just using
includes within the dsm.opt or specifying in the TSM schedule somehow?

Collocation wise we're using physical tape to store these VM backups, control
data will be in a disk area. Are you collocating by file space for these VM
backups given the way they're stored or are you using multiple data mover nodes
to work what needs collocation what doesn't? My main concern is the file level
recovery is painfully slow on physical tape, going and buying a bunch of disk
or VTL isn't a very cost effective option for us unfortunately.

I'm struggling to come up with the best practices on how to accomplish these
items which to me we did so simply before with the in guest backup method. I
know a lot of questions but recommendations and real world experience on these
items would be invaluable.