ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Drive and Path Definition

2012-01-18 18:34:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Drive and Path Definition
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:28:41 -0600
Richard Rhodes wrote:

> > In the past we've never had to restart TSM to add a new drive.  As
> > long as the drive was discovered and available at the AIX layer, we
> > could define the new drive.  Has this changed with v6.2.x?
>
> It's my experience that any change to the library (adding slots or drives)
> requires cycling TSM before it can access the new resource.

Seriously?  Is this behavior due to changes in TSM 6.x, or has it
always been this way for SCSI-style (smcX) libraries?

I've never had this issue with my 3494 library and any TSM version
from ADSM 2.1 through TSM 5.5.

If it's a 6.x change, it makes me nervous about the upgrade from 5.5.
If a SCSI library limitation, it makes me hesitant to give up my 3494
(looking at dedupe VTL appliances and/or newer physical libraries).
Getting TSM downtime is like pulling teeth, as our DBAs run log backups
for Oracle and MS-SQL servers almost continuously, 24x7.

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa