ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition

2012-01-19 01:40:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:37:51 -0600
I used to believe in all sorts of hokus-pokus in this regard, but I have
found that if you do things in an organized way in the correct order,
everything just works, without restarting dsmserv, on both TSM 5.5 and
6.2. See the TSM for AIX Administrator's Guide.

I recently moved a library from a simple configuration with one server,
to a Library Manager configuration with multiple server clients, which
involved a lot of undefining and redefining of paths and drives, and it
all just worked. The Library Manager is TSM 6.2, and it has a 5.5 client
and a 6.2 client. There were surprisingly few surprises.

Add the drive, run AIX cfgmgr, go into smit and add Tivoli Storage
Manager devices, define the drive and path in TSM, and it just works.
Pay attention to the fact that typically rmtN, mtN, and TSM driveN
device numbers will be different. Make sure the serial numbers in TSM Q
DRIVE F=D are correct.

Do things in the wrong order, and sometimes restarting dsmserv or even
AIX can make up for your disorganization, making it appear that those
restarts were necessary. In my experience, this is an area that has
become a lot more stable and predictable in recent releases of TSM 5.5
and 6.2.

========== "You will finish your project ahead of schedule." ===========
================= (Best fortune-cookie fortune ever.) ==================