ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-10-19 12:46:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:38:23 -0400
Is there an easy way to measure the footprint of a particular TSM+db2
instance?

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
10/18/2011 10:48 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

Allen,

We are running 6.2.3 (just upgraded from 6.2.2 2 days ago) on two p740s,
each with 8 CPUs (32 vCPUs) and 128GB of RAM.  10 TSM instances total
spread across these two systems.  One has 3, the other 7.

System 1 DB sizes (Space Used by DB):
1) 258GB
2) 289GB
3) 287GB

System 2 DB sizes:
1) 172GB
2) 173GB
3)  39GB
4)  84GB
5) 317GB
6)  98GB
7)   1GB (dedicated shared library manager server)

- We do not do deduplication (yet).
- We have CPU to spare (will get used when we enable deduplication).
- We ingest ~20TB per day across all instances.  We use copy pools for all
data (to a remote tape library).

I am not sure whether we will have sufficient CPU available to do all of
the deduplication that we wish to.  Same for RAM.  The "best practices"
have changed a couple of times since we originally started looking at
this.

HTH.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.