ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Objects Assigned in Backup Summary

2010-10-16 01:14:37
Subject: [ADSM-L] Objects Assigned in Backup Summary
From: garymcs <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:24:46 -0400
This seems to be related to the work done in TSM 6.2.1 to reduce the impact of
Windows systemstate backups (see the reference to incremental backup in the
description of the backup systemstate command in the Windows baclient user
guide).

What I'm seeing is this:
On the first backup of systemstate, or for a backup which does not include
systemstate, the "Total number of objects assigned" message does not appear.

On the second backup of systemstate, the "Total number of objects assigned"
message and an ANS4085I message can be seen.
The 6.2.1 Windows baclient messages documentation lists ANS4085I as a new
message and descibes it so:
"ANS4085I Assigned 'number' objects from previous systemstate backup to the new
systemstate backup.
Explanation: Objects in the previous System State backup have not changed and
were assigned to the new System State backup."

Subsequent backups of systemstate yield the "Total number of objects assigned"
message but not the ANS4085I message. The number of files assigned looks about
right for the number of System Files returned by the VSS System Writer.

A better explanation from IBM would be great, but it's a good guess that the
"objects assigned" comments reflect the mechanism used for systemstate
incremental backup.