ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] reclamation no longer working

2010-05-07 14:48:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] reclamation no longer working
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 14:46:27 -0400
On May 7, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Johnny Lea wrote:

> Bringing offsite tapes back and reclaiming them onsite is much faster; but,
> of course, then that data is not offsite.
>
>    Richard Sims     http://people.bu.edu/rbs/
>

> Richard, from time to time I've had to do this.  After checking in the tapes
> and updating them to r/o or r/w TSM doesn't always use them for the source on
> a 'move data'.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  It acts as if the
> tapes are not in the library even after I've verified them.
> Would you know any reason why?

In most of the cases I've examined, it is because the now-onsite tape begins
with a segmented Physical File which is continued from a tape which is not
available (e.g., marked Offsite), where the reclamation then runs with primary
storage pool tapes only as it starts by copying the entirety of that first
Physical File - which takes more time.  A few cases have remained mysterious.

   Richard Sims    at Boston University