ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines

2009-09-25 10:09:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:07:42 -0400
Whether you use VCB or not, does not affect your licensing.
You pay licenses based on the physical processors on the machine, no matter
how many guests you run.  So if you have many guests, you may get a
significant reduction in license costs.

You can do file-level backups by installing the b/a client and running on
the guest, or by using VCB if you want to offload the work from the ESX
server (and you have sufficient SAN connections).

Even if you use VCB, you'll want to have the b/a client installed on each
guest for doing file-level restores.

For fullvm backups, you need to use VCB.

The information is in the 5.4-5.5 Technical Guide redbook, SG24-7447, chap.
24.
The TSM 6.1 client is better, it provides integrated support for fullvms as
well as for file-level backups with VCB.