ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines

2009-09-25 10:16:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up virtual machines
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:14:48 -0500
We looked at this from both angles. First from the point of creating a
VMcluster of only guests that require backups and sub-capacity licensing and
only backing up vm guests that require backups. Turned out we didn't have
enough guests in any one site to justify licensing a 6 node - 8 core VMcluster
for TSM.
So we are looking deeper into sub capacity licensing and making sure there
aren't any gotchas. It is the most cost effective way, but also doesn't
penalize you if you need to eventually license the entire ESX node.

However, I have come across a concern that hopefully someone can help me with.
Right now we are preparing to deploy 3 node vmclusters to all remote sites.
By our standards, there will be two or three guests that will require backups.
Backing up the vm datastores has not really been discussed.

The scenario I'm concerned with is the possibility of storage becoming corrupt.
What are some others using for full vmcluster recovery? Or is the most cost
effective way, rebuilding the guests ?