ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?

2009-08-17 15:47:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:46:31 -0400
I understand that Advanced Library Management System (ALMS) can be
used to create logical libraries within physical ones, consisting of
drives and volser ranges.  But, how does ALMS control access to those
logical libraries by servers and applications?  What in ALMS allows
Server A, but not Server B  to access logical library N?  I haven't
found a description of that in the 3584 documentation.

If a 3584 is accessed only by TSM Library Clients what benefit does
ALMS offer besides virtual I/O?  I don't mean to undervalue virtual I/
O, but what role can ALMS play in managing a TSM-only shared library.

We have a TS3500 with 3592-E05 drives, and are running TSM 5.5.3 on
RHEL.  We are planning to take a drive away from the Production TSM
server and give it to a test server to verify library/drive
connectivity on a new server build.  Do I need to setup a Library
Manager/Library Client architecture for that, or could ALMS do the
refereeing?

Thank you,
Keith Arbogast