ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?

2009-08-17 17:59:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:58:24 -0400
As I understand it, ALMS IS required if you implement Encryption
for LTO4 tapes/drives on a 3584 library, is that true?
David Longo

>>> Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU> 8/17/2009 5:18 PM >>>
We have a couple of 3584s with ALMS, and though we use TSM to share the
library among 9 TSM instances, I still find the VIO features of the 3584 to
be handy.  Having up to 255 virtual I/O slots can be nice when adding tapes
to the library.  When switching from one generation of drives and media to
another, it is nice to be able to flexibly shift slots from the older
generation to the new one.  Overall, the virtualization of the library is a
very nice thing.  Is is required?  No, not at all.  But it's nice!

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it,
and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views
or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender
is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.