ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 (volume labels)

2007-11-28 12:04:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 (volume labels)
From: Nick Laflamme <nick.laflamme AT NIST DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:04:11 -0500
Our TS 3500 tape library can be configured to report volume labels as
six digits or eight. We've used six digit identifiers all along, but as
I read materials on mixing LTO drive (and tape) levels in the same
partition, I suspect we should have gone to eight volume labels all
along so TSM has the indicators of a tape's technology level.

If I tell the TS 3500 to start reporting volume labels as eight digit
labels, are all of my tapes with six digit internal labels suddenly
going to be useless? Or does TSM accept a six-digit label written on the
tape itself if it matches the first six characters of the external label?

Hoping for a pleasant surprise,
Nick