ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 (volume labels)

2007-11-28 12:24:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 (volume labels)
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:24:12 -0600
TSM doesn't know anything about the technology level of the media just
because you are using the 8 digits.  TSM doesn't care, in fact.
If it did, it wouldn't be happy sticking an LTO2 cartridge into an LTO3
drive (which is a legitimate thing to do).

The LIBRARY uses the last 2 digits, I think, to prevent sticking an LTO3
tape into an LTO2 drive (which is not a legitimate thing to do).  But it
does that even if TSM is only using the 1st 6 digits.

I've got customers who use 8 digits, and customers who use 6.
The only reason I can think of that you would NEED the 8 digit barcodes,
is if you wanted to mix LTO2 carts and LTO3 carts in the library AND have
both sets of tapes have the same VOLSERs (but that way lies madness....)