ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for SQL question

2007-08-03 01:16:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for SQL question
From: Stuart Lamble <adsm AT CAROUSEL.ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:14:34 +1000
On 03/08/2007, at 2:53 PM, Paul Dudley wrote:

I have been told that if I want to create an "archive" backup of an
SQL
database via TDP for SQL, then I should create a separate node name in
TSM (such as "SQL_Archive") and then backup using that node name
once a
month (for example) and make sure to bind those backups to a
management
class that has the long term settings that meet our requirements.

What else is involved in setting this up? On the client do I have to
create another dsm.opt file with the new node name to match what I set
up on the TSM server?

In the context of the BA client, you can create multiple server
stanzas in dsm.sys to point at different TSM instances and/or node
names - eg, we do this with one particular system so that we can hold
an image backup for ten days normally, but once a week, put one aside
for eight weeks. The dsm.sys for this node looks like:

servername (instance)_8WR
   commmethod         tcpip
   tcpport            (port)
   tcpserveraddress   (server)
   passwordaccess     generate
[...]
   nodename     (client)_8wr

servername (instance)
   commmethod         tcpip
   tcpport            (port)
   tcpserveraddress   (server)
   passwordaccess     generate
[...]
   nodename      (client)

All that is in dsm.opt is a line "servername (instance)", so that
backups by default go to the client's standard node; for the 8 week
retention, we add a "-se=(instance)_8WR", and TSM does the right
thing. (The '[...]' signals where I've cut out a number of TCP/IP
options, along with other client-side options.)

How to do this for a TDP client is left as an exercise for the
reader. :-) Hopefully, it should give you some ideas. Good luck.