ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Collocation

2007-04-20 11:31:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Collocation
From: William Kyndt <William.Kyndt AT MILLER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:16:09 +0100
Hi,

We currently use Tivoli Version 5.3.2 and wish to implement collocation
for some of our servers. I have a few questions regarding enabling
collocation and would appreciate any advice anyone is able to share.

1. When enabling collocation for a group of servers, does a full backup
of the servers occur to group the data on as few volumes as possible
followed by incremental backups? Or do incremental backups still occur
as normal and are simply grouped on pre defined volumes?

2. Is there a way to collocate data already backed up onto fewer
volumes?

We use GroupWise as our e-mail system which comprises of thousands of
files and directories, when performing a full system restore which can
be in excess of 500 GB this can take some time because of all the tape
mounts taking place. We are hoping that by collocating this data onto
fewer tapes this will reduce the length of time taken to complete a
complete restore in the event of a disaster.

Any advice surrounding collocation would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

William

The Miller Group Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC018135

Miller Homes Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC255429

Miller Construction (UK) Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC209666

Miller Developments Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC178108

2 Lochside View
Edinburgh Park
Edinburgh
EH12 9DH

Disclaimer:
The Information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. It may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately on +44 (0) 870 336 5060 and delete the message from your
computer: you may not copy or forward it, or use or disclose its contents to
any other person.

We do not accept any liability or responsibility for: (1) changes made to this
email after it was sent, or (2) viruses transmitted through this email or any
attachment.