ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation

2007-04-24 08:41:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation
From: William Kyndt <William.Kyndt AT MILLER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:41:42 +0100
With regards to the Move Nodedata command, is this something which can
be stopped and started (i.e. if we were to kick off the process can we
stop it and then resume from where it left off)?

On Apr 20, 2007, at 11:16 AM, William Kyndt wrote:

> 1. When enabling collocation for a group of servers, does a full
> backup
> of the servers occur to group the data on as few volumes as possible
> followed by incremental backups? Or do incremental backups still
occur
> as normal and are simply grouped on pre defined volumes?

William -

There is no change in Incremental backup behavior because of
collocation:
if an object is in the target storage pool already, it will not be
backed
up again, regardless of how the storage pool is arranged.

> 2. Is there a way to collocate data already backed up onto fewer
> volumes?

All subsequent data movement within the storage pool (reclamation,
Move Data, Move Nodedata) will observe the collocation rule.
The Admin Guide has good info on this.

   Richard Sims   Sr. Systems Programmer
                  at Boston University, Office of Information
Technology

The Miller Group Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC018135

Miller Homes Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC255429

Miller Construction (UK) Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC209666

Miller Developments Limited  Registered in Scotland - SC178108

2 Lochside View
Edinburgh Park
Edinburgh
EH12 9DH

Disclaimer:
The Information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. It may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately on +44 (0) 870 336 5060 and delete the message from your
computer: you may not copy or forward it, or use or disclose its contents to
any other person.

We do not accept any liability or responsibility for: (1) changes made to this
email after it was sent, or (2) viruses transmitted through this email or any
attachment.