ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DISK I/O Blocksize

2007-04-18 08:59:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DISK I/O Blocksize
From: Ibán Bernaldo de Quirós Márquez <Iban.Bernaldodequiros AT SUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:58:41 +0200
Thinking of the technote provided by Richad Sims (Thanks!!) don't you think that the segment size for disk stgpool is very small ¿? 4KB ¿?

If I have a RAID 5 (4+1 volumes), configured with 256 KBsegment size, am I not wasting space... ¿?

If one client is doing backup, the backup(objects) are coming across the lan and received by the ethernet adapter of the TSM server. These objects are going to main memory of the TSM server (processed), and after they are flushed to disk in segments more big than 4 KB (perhaps 256 KB) ¿? or it goes directly to disk without passing first to memory ¿?

So does TSM have a multiplier like oracle db to read more blocks sequentially ¿?

If I have large I/O requests it seems to me that 4KB for blocksize is very small... or perhaps am I forgetting something about TSM functionality... some tuning parameters ¿?

Does TSM do a caching or something previous to write to disk and tape ¿?

Thanks In Advance !!

Regards,
Ibán.