ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL - restoring to different server

2006-07-19 10:15:22
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL - restoring to different server
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:13:19 -0400
Paul,

You will need the SQL Server on the alternate machine.
SQL Server backups are simply a stream of bytes.
They are not "files", like Exchange, for example.
At restore time, Data Protection for SQL gives the
"stream of bytes" back to the SQL Server.
The SQL Server knows exactly how to put the databases
back together.

As for restoring an older backup with the command-line
client, yes... you will want to use the "/OBJect=" parameter.
Check the User's Guide for exact syntax.
Also check these IBM articles:

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Tivoli Storage Manager Development
IBM Corporation

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/19/2006
01:30:20 AM: