ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3.3 startup in /etc/inittab on AIX ( problem?)

2006-05-22 10:24:39
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3.3 startup in /etc/inittab on AIX ( problem?)
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:23:43 -0400
the conslog shows:

1148172312 May 20 20:45:12 tsmserv syslog:err|error syslogd: unkn
own priority name "*": errno = 2

the entry in /etc/inittab  has remained much the same since ADSM 3

TSM was upgraded and brought up prior to the AIX  upgrade, so it
appears to be something related to the AIX upgrade.

>>> rbs AT BU DOT EDU 05/22/06 9:57 AM >>>
Without resulting messages or AIX Error Log problem indications, we
can't provide a lot of assistance, but these thoughts...

  - It's not a good idea to direct service messages to the console,
    both because they become lost and because there can be issues
    with the console.  It's better to have like:
     /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.adsmserv >> /var/log/tsmserv/
tsmserv.log 2>&1

  - Starting an application like TSM from inittab can be
problematic...
    The relative position can be an issue, as for example being too
early in
    the system start sequence such that volumes are not yet ready.
Though the
    position may look okay, the subsystem starts may be asynchronous,
and your
    process ends up in a race with other establishment processes.
    Further, by starting from Init, you may not have needed
environment
    variables in effect, which are in a login session. (You can
compensate for
    this by modifying rc.adsmserv.)

Look through your /var/adm/ras/conslog (if not over-cycled) and other
logging areas for substantive evidence of the problem.

    Richard Sims

On May 22, 2006, at 9:26 AM, Lawrence Clark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We upgraded TSM from 5.2 to 5.3.3  over the weekend.
>
> We also upgraded AIX on that server from 5.2 to 5.3.3
>
> After the AIX upgrade, TSM aborts on startup from /etc/inittab
>
> However, opening a terminal window an enetering the same startup
> brings
> up TSM with no problem. In fact, it is still running for several
days.

> The /etc/inittab entry:
>
> autosrvr:2:once:/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.adsmserv >/dev/console
> 2>&1 #Start
>  the Tivoli Storage Manager server
>
> The startup in the terminal window:
>
> /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.adsmserv >/dev/console 2>&1
>
> Anyone experienced similar problems?

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.