ADSM-L

Re: TSM hangs on Fedora 5 Client backup

2006-04-27 20:58:48
Subject: Re: TSM hangs on Fedora 5 Client backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:57:09 -0400
Mike -

Someone else may have specific experience with your Fedora platform,
but some general observations...

We are at a disadvantage of not knowing what your backup operation
was or client options or other configuration information, which may
play a part.

Too many sites install a client and then launch into a whole file
system backup and then don't know what's going on when something goes
wrong. When trying a new client, I would strongly suggest starting
with basic validation steps...

Do 'dsmc q opt' to check that your options are valid; and, as a side
effect, this will perform the first interaction with the TSM server
(to look for any client options stored on the server side). Then do
'dsmc q inclexcl' to verify that Include/Exclude specifications are
valid. (Not all come from your client specs: some may be defined on
the server.) Now perform a trivial backup to see if the mechanics
work for a real session which involves storage: 'dsmc Selective
<AnyFile>'. This will exercise the flow path from the client to the
server, through the initial storage pool defined via your Management
Class and Copy Group - which will uncover a problem if needed
definitions or resources are not in place on the server. Thereafter,
do 'dsmc Incremental' on a directory. (This is exercise stuff - the
resulting filespaces can be discarded if desired.)

If problems or anomalies, check the client dsmerror.log and the
server Activity Log. Perform Query SEssion on the server during and
after the interaction, looking for issues and verifying data transfer
in both directions, per statistics reported. The TSM Problem
Determination Guide is there for pointers and checklists on things to
look for in pursuing client sessions. You can also run the client
under the Unix 'truss' command to see what's going on, and TSM client
tracing is available.

   Richard Sims